WASHINGTON – In the present day, Vice President of america Mike Pence and U.S. Secretary of Training Betsy DeVos held a convention name with leaders of a number of nationwide Okay-12 training organizations to reply their questions and to supply an replace on what the Division of Training has performed up to now to assist college students, mother and father, and educators through the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
The Vice President and Secretary started the decision with opening remarks and supplied an replace on the next subjects:
- President Trump’s announcement that the Division is expediting the standardized testing waiver software course of to accommodate states which might be unable to facilitate federally required standardized testing throughout this tutorial 12 months. As of in the present day, 45 states have utilized for a waiver and have been granted preliminary approval.
- The Division’s additional guidance concerning distance studying for college kids with disabilities. This new useful resource explains that as a college district takes vital steps to deal with the well being, security, and well-being of all its college students and employees, educators can use distance studying alternatives to serve all college students.
- The administration’s actions to support student loan borrowers by setting pupil mortgage curiosity charges to 0% and permitting debtors to opt-in to administrative forbearance for 60 days with out penalty or accruing curiosity.
- Secretary DeVos has stopped all requests to the U.S. Treasury to withhold cash from defaulted debtors’ federal earnings tax refunds, Social Safety funds, and different federal funds. The Division may even refund roughly $1.8 billion in offsets which have already occurred to greater than 830,000 debtors.
- Secretary DeVos inspired individuals on the decision to suppose creatively about methods to guarantee all college students can proceed studying throughout this time, and thanked everybody for his or her work on behalf college students, academics, and fogeys.
Following their remarks, Secretary DeVos answered questions from individuals about a variety of subjects together with distance training, training for college kids with disabilities, web accessibility, and funding flexibility to satisfy the wants of scholars and academics.
Mike Pence, Vice President of america
Betsy DeVos, U.S. Secretary of Training
Mark Bane, president, Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America
Thomas Burnford, president and CEO, Nationwide Catholic Training Affiliation
Michael Casserly, government director, Council of the Nice Metropolis Colleges
Daniel Domenech, government director, American Affiliation of College Directors
Earl Franks, government director Nationwide Affiliation of Elementary College Principals
Tom Gentzel, government director and CEO, Nationwide College Boards Affiliation
David Lewis, government director, Affiliation of College Enterprise Officers Worldwide
Mike Magee, CEO, Chiefs for Change
Carissa Miller, government director, Council of Chief State College Officers
Donna Orem, president, Nationwide Affiliation of Unbiased Colleges
Stephen Parker, Nationwide Governors Affiliation
Nina Rees, president and CEO, Nationwide Alliance for Public Constitution Colleges
Dr. Larry Taylor, Affiliation of Christian Colleges Worldwide
Dave Wick, president, Nationwide Affiliation of Elementary College Principals
Rabbi David Zwiebel, government vp, Agudath Israel of America
For extra info on all of the efforts the Division is taking to deal with the COVID-19 nationwide emergency, go to ed.gov/coronavirus.
For extra details about COVID-19, please go to the following web sites: https://www.coronavirus.gov, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html and https://www.usa.gov/coronavirus.